DIRECT MAIL IS POPULAR
- Direct mail claims a 43% share of total local retail advertising.
- Young adults, under age 30 are highly direct mail responsive.
- 92% of young shoppers say they prefer direct mail for making purchasing decisions.
- Direct mail research claims that 73% of consumers actually prefer mail to other advertising methods.
- 59% of U.S. direct mail respondents state: “I enjoy getting postal mail from brands about new products.”
- 56% of customers find print marketing to be the most-trustworthy type of marketing.
The Bottom Line - People love to get mail! That’s right, tangible mail in their mailboxes. Even younger generations, those constantly seen on social media and email sites, like and prefer classic direct mail. Give the people what they want and trust, and receive the maximum benefit of this popular medium.
DIRECT MAIL IS PERSONAL
- 70% of Americans believe direct mail is much more personal than the internet.
- 50% of Americans believe the personalized direct mail they receive was exclusively for them.
- Personalized direct mail can have up to a 50% better response rate than non-personalized mail.
The Bottom Line - Get personal! By customizing your direct mail marketing, your customers will connect with your business on a more personal level, creating a closer customer-business relationship.
DIRECT MAIL AND DIGITAL INTEGRATION WORK FAST
- Today, QR codes and NFC technology make it possible for your direct mail to immediately connect customers to your website or to a designated landing page.
- 76% of small businesses acknowledge their ideal marketing strategy encompasses a combination of both direct mail and digital communication.
The Bottom Line - Integrate! By using new technologies such as Quick Response (QR) codes and Near-Field Communication (NFC), you are able to connect your direct mail to your digital ad campaigns, allowing you to maximize the benefits of both direct and digital marketing.
DIRECT MAIL RESPONSE RATES ARE THE HIGHEST OF ANY MEDIUM
- 40% of consumers will try new businesses after receiving direct mail from them.
- Retailers are receiving a dramatically higher response to their direct mail than in the past few decades.
- Direct mail advertisers spend an average of $167 per person and sell $2,095 of goods. A 1,300% return.
- According to the DMA, direct mail advertising yields a 13 to 1 return on investment.
The Bottom Line - Direct mail pays off big! Direct mail may be considered a more costly form of marketing compared to less costly email blasting and social media blogging, but the Return on Investment (ROI) of this tried and true medium is impossible to ignore.
DIRECT MAIL REACHES THE DECISION MAKER IN A HOME
- 90% of all mail is reviewed by the decision maker in the home, who determines which mail is kept for review.
- 81% of all financial documents are opened and reviewed by the decision maker in the home.
- 84% of decision makers in the home are the principal grocery shoppers.
- Most mail is placed in the home where it’s seen by all allowing it to be read when convenient.
The Bottom Line - Mail reaches the key decision maker in the home! Its tangibility allows the head of the household to view it, use it or circulate it to the rest of the house where it can be viewed by other users and decision-makers.
DIRECT MAIL IS TIMELY
- 98% of consumers bring in their mail the day it’s delivered.
- 77% of consumers sort through their mail immediately.
- Consumers spend an average of 20 minutes reading their mail on any given day.
- 48% of people retain direct mail for up to one year for future reference.
The Bottom Line - Mail Time is an important time! People enjoy reading their mail. By using direct mail as a part of your marketing campaign, you can be assured your message will be read, and read quickly.